From: ---
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Apr 07, 2007 at 08:23:31
Subject: What operation should be taught first?

I am currently involved in writing curriculum for our district. We adopted
the Scott Foresman Investigations as our math program. In 5th grade they
begin with multiplication and division as their 1st unit, 3-dimensional
geometry, then addition and subtraction and number systems. I want to start
with Unit 3 then do Unit 1. I also think it best to teach 2-dimensional
geometry before 3-d. Am I wrong in thinking this is more developmentally
appropriate. We are using new performance standards which I totally support. I
just think this series is a bit out of sequence of what is logical. Can you
help me?

Thank you.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question