Q&A #18422

What operation should be taught first?

View entire discussion

From: ---
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Apr 07, 2007 at 08:23:31
Subject: What operation should be taught first?

I am currently involved in writing curriculum for our district. We adopted the Scott Foresman Investigations as our math program. In 5th grade they begin with multiplication and division as their 1st unit, 3-dimensional geometry, then addition and subtraction and number systems. I want to start with Unit 3 then do Unit 1. I also think it best to teach 2-dimensional geometry before 3-d. Am I wrong in thinking this is more developmentally appropriate. We are using new performance standards which I totally support. I just think this series is a bit out of sequence of what is logical. Can you help me? Thank you.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®