From: Claire (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 25, 2007 at 16:59:49
Subject: Re: Summer Math prep book recommendation

Hi, Joe --

Thanks for writing to T2T. I applaud you for wanting to be involved in your
son's education.

I'd recommend working on problem solving over the summer. It's more fun than
procedural work. It will benefit him in whatever program he uses next year.
Good problems can be approached by various strategies, and don't depend on
specific skills. They help students build connections to other strands of
mathematics.

If this were during the year I'd strongly suggest a student subscription to
our Problems of the Week. Keep that in mind once the new season starts in
August. http://mathforum.org/problems_puzzles_landing.html
You can get a freen21-day trial account to check it out.

In the meantime, check out the "Other Problems and Puzzles" link from that
web page for other sources of problems.

Other good sources of rich problems:
http://www.pasd.wednet.edu/school/mathwasl/
http://nrich.maths.org/public/index.php
http://www.nzmaths.co.nz/PS/index.aspx

I hope this is helpful. Have fun this summer!

 -Claire, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®