From: Claire (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 31, 2007 at 10:33:04
Subject: Re: Integrating maths with English and Environmental Science

Hi, Vimal --

Thanks for writing to T2T. I'm a strong believer in integrating curriculum at
every opportunity, especially at this age level. My approach would be based
on two other strongly held beliefs:
1. Math concepts and skills should be taught through problems that relate to
something real, in order to give a meaningful context to the math and to
provide a way to judge the reasonableness of answers.
2. Writing in math class is important for deepening understanding and for
letting the teacher in on the thought process of the child.

With those in mind, I'd use the content of whatever area of environmental
science you are teaching to create math problems that make use of the math
content you are also trying to address. Having children explain their math
thinking in writing strengthens both math and literacy. Since the problems
relate to the science content, they are practicing the science vocabulary as
well.

There are many good children's books about environmental issues. Those can
provide the inspiration for problems. Depending on the particular science
content, real data can also be a rich source of problem ideas.

I hope this helps get you started. Curriculum integration is a big topic.
Please write again if you have more questions.

 -Claire, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®