Q&A #18590

Integrating maths with English and Environmental Science

View entire discussion

From: Claire (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 31, 2007 at 10:33:04
Subject: Re: Integrating maths with English and Environmental Science

Hi, Vimal -- Thanks for writing to T2T. I'm a strong believer in integrating curriculum at every opportunity, especially at this age level. My approach would be based on two other strongly held beliefs: 1. Math concepts and skills should be taught through problems that relate to something real, in order to give a meaningful context to the math and to provide a way to judge the reasonableness of answers. 2. Writing in math class is important for deepening understanding and for letting the teacher in on the thought process of the child. With those in mind, I'd use the content of whatever area of environmental science you are teaching to create math problems that make use of the math content you are also trying to address. Having children explain their math thinking in writing strengthens both math and literacy. Since the problems relate to the science content, they are practicing the science vocabulary as well. There are many good children's books about environmental issues. Those can provide the inspiration for problems. Depending on the particular science content, real data can also be a rich source of problem ideas. I hope this helps get you started. Curriculum integration is a big topic. Please write again if you have more questions. -Claire, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®