Q&A #18654

How to discuss my son's need for more math instruction

View entire discussion

From: M. Lopez
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Jun 30, 2007 at 13:10:23
Subject: How to discuss my son's need for more math instruction

My question is: How do I approach & discuss my son's need for more/higher math instruction at school? I certainly do not want to make unreasonable requests but also feel that is not fair for him to 'stagnate' in his math education. Do you have any ideas? I would appreciate any ideas you would have to offer! Some background: Last year my son scored over a 95 on the math benchmark test at the very beginning of the year, and then earned a perfect score on the same test (TAKS here in Texas) at the end of the year. He (politely) complained to me that the math content was too easy. I had him tested for GT, and he was accepted in his school's program but I was told they could only offer additional material (not instruction). He received one extra Sunshine Math (grade 3) worksheet to work on every week. The worksheet was turned in & returned graded with no review. His elementary school does not offer pull-out instruction, just additional work. He is especially talented in math & science but struggles with spelling. He also has (inattentive type) ADD & has been doing well w/medication. In order accommodate his need for more instruction, I have been casually tutoring him at home. I try to keep it fun & interesting in order to nurture his love for learning and to further strengthen his math talent. We have also done some BASIC style programming this summer (which he has really enjoyed). I have offered him some 5th-6th grade problems in the past & that seemed suitably challenging.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®