From: Rick (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 05, 1998 at 02:32:19
Subject: Math learning difficulties

Andy -

I don't have any easy answers for you... sorry. I have had a lot of students in
the same boat as your daughter. I do tend to find that those students who do well
in the arts and/or social sciences who have problems with math (which is probably
a larger percentage than the other way) get excited if you can find topics in the
areas they excel in, and use the mathematics involved in them. The problem is that
the mathematics curriculum doesn't allow us (time-wise) to examine these the way
we should.

I don't have specific references for you in the UK, but would think there should
be a number of places you could check for these types of applications. The generic
phrase would be mathematical modelling or modeling. You might check with your
daughter's teachers or over the Internet to see if there are things that might
interest her.

Another thing you might try is that when she has a report in another course, ask
her to do it on a mathematical topic, possibly some historical or artistic
perspective (Escher, Golden Ratio, etc.)

Good luck!

- Rick

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question