From: Rick (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 05, 1998 at 02:32:19
Subject: Math learning difficulties

Andy - I don't have any easy answers for you... sorry. I have had a lot of students in the same boat as your daughter. I do tend to find that those students who do well in the arts and/or social sciences who have problems with math (which is probably a larger percentage than the other way) get excited if you can find topics in the areas they excel in, and use the mathematics involved in them. The problem is that the mathematics curriculum doesn't allow us (time-wise) to examine these the way we should. I don't have specific references for you in the UK, but would think there should be a number of places you could check for these types of applications. The generic phrase would be mathematical modelling or modeling. You might check with your daughter's teachers or over the Internet to see if there are things that might interest her. Another thing you might try is that when she has a report in another course, ask her to do it on a mathematical topic, possibly some historical or artistic perspective (Escher, Golden Ratio, etc.) Good luck! - Rick

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/