From: Steve R. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 13, 2007 at 17:34:00
Subject: Re: slide rule

Hi Yevgeniy -

Yes, there are certainly similarities between the old logarithmic slide rules
and the newer EM version.  Of course, the EM one is designed only for adding
and subtracting, so isn't nearly as flexible as the old ones in terms of
mathematical capability.

I remember my high school chemistry teacher had a giant slide rule that hung
above his blackboard so he could easily demonstrate how to make calculations
with it.  But the early Hewlett Packard calculators were also catching on at
that time, so the slide rule was on its way out.

Glad my reply was helpful.  Good luck with your tutoring!

 -Steve R., for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®