From: Claire (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 21, 2007 at 14:58:16
Subject: Re: How do I become a Math Teacher?

Hi, Michelles -- Thanks for writing to T2T. I applaud your desire to be a math teacher! Each state has its own standards for obtaining a teaching license. You need to decide in which state you want to work, and then contact the department of education in that state to learn what they require. Many states have that information available online. It will usually involve some combination of coursework and practical, supervised classroom experience. You should at the same time find out about reciprocity with other states. Some have mutual agreements to accept the certification of another state. That could be useful in thinking about mobility. In some states there are teacher preparation programs designed especially for people with bachelor's degrees in other fields who are changing careers. The state office you contact should be able to steer you toward whose kinds of programs. They can jumpstart you through the process. Make sure whatever you do gives you plenty of first hand observation and classroom experience with real kids. I hope this is helpful. Good luck. -Claire, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/