From: Pat Ballew (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 25, 2007 at 10:15:00
Subject: Re: Plotting points on a graph

Well, this may explain why I'm not an EXPERT, but here goes. I think the
function of a graph is to get a "picture" of a relationship.  The x values
that are permitted, the y-values associated with them (assuming the
traditional x-y coordinate plane) and a general idea of how they are
related. If I know I'm graphing a continuous curve, I think I would NEVER
fail to draw the smooth curve which generalizes the idea. I may never be
able to graph all the points; certainly simple polynomial functions have
domains that reach infinitely in both directions, so that would be
impossible.  But I can try to extend my sketch (and in the end, graphs are
never exact, we can NOT make points or lines in the true geometric sense)
so that it covers all the things that might be of "interest" (a term
defined by the level of the drawer, the question which generated the
construction of the graph, etc.). I may want to extend the x-axis far
enough to include all the zeros and feel that a couple of arrows pointing
off to infinity to indicate the end behavior, or maybe a curve dropping
down to show a horizontal asymptote ends with an arrowhead to indicate "and
so fourth" in a picture image.

Of course as soon as I press "Send," I may think of a good time to NOT draw
the "suggestion" of a complete curve, but for now I think I would be on the
other side of the fence. This allows me to be dramatic when I teach my
students about point discontinuities. "See, the missing point does NOT
show up on the graphing calculator. It looks like a complete line, but if
we KNOW to look, sure enough, there is no value for x = (whatever). And
they learn to embellish the smooth curve with an open circle to suggest a
missing point. I assure you (and the expert) that none of them believes
that is the exact size of a point, but I'm not sure without the smooth
points filled in on each side of the open circle, if I could ever make so
clear an example that it is JUST the one point missing.

Well, if the expert IS right, at least you have some company in your error.
Sometimes when I don't like the expert commentary on Shuttle lift-offs or
other such events, I turn the channel, and usually there is another expert
with a totally different view, and I just keep looking until I find an
expert I can live with.

 -Pat Ballew, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question