From: ---
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Nov 20, 2007 at 19:14:46
Subject: Mean, median, mode in grade 3

I am confused about the purpose of the median in a set of data. What I know: I know that mean is taking an average by adding up all #'s and / by the numbers of data points. I know that the median is the middle number of a set of data. I know if there are 2 middle numbers you add then / by 2. I know the mode is the most frequent repeated data. Today I was using a graph where food and # of children were the only criteria. 2 kids liked pizza, 4 hamburgers, 4 tacos and 5 liked Chinese food. We created a simple bar graph to show this. The mode is Chinese food because 5 kids liked it the most. Or is the mode the 5 kids? Is there a median in this case? My main concern is the purpose of a median or middle number? What does it tell us about a set of data. Why do we need the middle number? I need to bring it down to 3rd grade level. Please help. How do I teach median so it makes sense?

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/