From: Mark
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Dec 01, 2007 at 18:50:41
Subject: Why study beyond the basics?

I have many students who find no use for math. I have tried showing them real-life applications of many topics, but very few consider my examples worthwhile. Find the area of a room to put in flooring is brushed off because, "I can just get someone to install it for me." Figuring out the discount on a purchase, "The cash register will figure it out, and if I don't have enough, I will tell them to put it on the shelf." Being able to effectively estimate or even perform one and two digit arithmetic in your head, "I have a calculator." Everything has an easy answer back, "I don't need math." If basic arithmetic is believed to be pointless, how is one supposed to teach graphing, algebra, or any other concept?

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/