From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 03, 2007 at 18:32:47
Subject: Re: Surface Area of Prisms

Hi Harvey, I usually start by having my students cut a box (rectangular prism) apart so they have the six sides. Then they can tape edges together to make a net for the prism. They notice pretty quickly that there are some congruent sides -- better yet, they remember it, which didn't used to happen when I just told them. From there, it is not a big leap to figuring out how to find the surface area by finding the areas of the sides (faces). I am not familiar with the formula you have used (S = Ph + 2B). I hope this helps. :-) -Gail, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/