From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 03, 2007 at 18:32:47
Subject: Re: Surface Area of Prisms

Hi Harvey,

I usually start by having my students cut a box (rectangular prism) apart
so they have the six sides.  Then they can tape edges together to make a
net for the prism.  They notice pretty quickly that there are some
congruent sides -- better yet, they remember it, which didn't used to happen
when I just told them. From there, it is not a big leap to figuring
out how to find the surface area by finding the areas of the sides
(faces). I am not familiar with the formula you have used (S = Ph + 2B).

I hope this helps.  :-)

-Gail, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question