Q&A #19127

Research on use of math games

View entire discussion

From: Ralph (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 26, 2007 at 14:13:34
Subject: Re: Research on use of math games

Hi Pennie, Thank you for writing to T2T. There have been numerous studies on the use of math games in elementary school. The general consensus is that the use of math games has very positive effects on students' attitudes towards mathematics, although there is considerably less evidence that math games actually improve student performance in mathematics. On the other hand, there is no evidence of any adverse effect on performance, either. Since I personally believe that students' attitudes toward mathematics are at least as important, if not more important, than their content knowledge in math, I am a strong advocate of the use of math games at the K-6 level! If you're looking to find specific research studies, you'll find that research on math game usage is often linked to research on math anxiety, and that the research is very fragmented. Here are a couple of sources that might be of interest: http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1150034.1150080 http://adlcommunity.net/file.php/23/GrooveFiles/Instr_Game_Review_Tr_2005.pd f Hope this helps, -Ralph, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®