From: Deanna McArthur <mcarthur@mindspring.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:44:28
Subject: Place value

I teach a mixed age and ability self-contained special education classes.
Several of my students can recognize numbers up to 20, but are having
difficulty grasping place value with these numbers up to 20.  We have tried
counting objects into cups labeled ones and tens and when we get 10 sticks
we bundle them and put them in the tens cup and talk about how the one
bundle of 10 is now one in the tens place.  Any suggestions on how to teach
this skill better?  These students have autism and tend to memorize well,
but have great difficulty with comprehension.

Thanks!

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®