Q&A #19185

Estimation for kindergarteners

View entire discussion

From: Denise Stephenson <ydstephenson@gmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Dec 20, 2007 at 22:33:08
Subject: Estimation for kindergarteners

In January I will be responsible to teach my kindergarten students how to estimate quantities less than 20. What is the best way to help 5 year olds learn to do this? Students have had lots of hands-on use of manipulatives so I hope this helps. Would the number line thing be too difficult for them to understand? I thought I could begin by having them estimate/take a good guess how long or should I say how many pop-cubes long is a given object. First estimate. Then try it out and see if your estimate was close or way off. The assessment in the spring will require them to look at a sandwich bag with small objects in it and estimate the number. I believe that the estimate can be within two of the correct answer to be considered on grade level. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Denis Stephenson

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®