Q&A #19202

Probability /statistics simulations

View entire discussion

From: Claire (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jan 09, 2008 at 15:11:25
Subject: Re: Probability /statistics simulations

Hi, Sheila -- Thanks for writing to T2T. I assume you mean computer/calculator simulations and for teaching purposes, as opposed to research. Without knowing the details of the situation, my general opinion is that simulations are totally appropriate when you need a larger number of trials than is manageable with real trials, in order to confirm or reinforce theoretical expectations. I'd add a few caveats: * Students need to understand thoroughly what you are simulating and have some real experience with it. Otherwise it will seem like hocus-pocus, and we don't want to give students the impression that math is magical or mysterious. * The simulation needs to be very carefully constructed to accurately test what you want it to. You need to be confident that the results are valid. I hope this is helpful. If you have more specific question, please write again. -Claire, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®