From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jan 11, 2008 at 22:35:24
Subject: Re: Rotating shapes on a coordinate grid

Hi Sandra, I would start by having my students stand up and face the front of the classroom, then turn 90 degrees and note the way they are facing. Return to facing front and turn 180 degrees, then return. Turn 270 and then return, and turn 360, then return. Have them write about what they noticed. They might even draw some diagrams to show what happened. Then I would have them draw a coordinate grid, and draw a figure (trapezoids are great for this) in one of the quadrants. They should draw the figure so that each vertex lies on a coordinate point, to make it easy to record the location of the figure. Then, have them place a piece of tracing paper (or patty paper) over the grid, and trace the coordinate grid, and the figure. If they put their pencil on the origin (0,0), they can carefully spin the grid, and watch what happens to the location and orientation of the figure. At each 90 degrees, have them stop and note the new vertices. I hope this helps. :-) -Gail, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/