From: Claire (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jan 27, 2008 at 22:02:02
Subject: Re: Teaching strategies for improving math for my six year old daughter

Hi, Gladys --

Thanks for writing to T2T. Are you homeschooling your child, or wanting to
support and supplement her school program? Can you tell us more about your
child and your goals and priorities?

Young children need lots of hands-on experience with number before focusing
on pencil and paper work. Here are a few resource that give lots of
suggestions for parents.

Helping Your Child Learn Mathematics
"This booklet is made up of fun activities that parents can use with children
from preschool age through grade 5 to strengthen their math skills and build
strong positive attitudes toward math."
http://www.ed.gov/parents/academic/help/math/index.html
has a pdf you can download.
http://www.ed.gov/pubs/parents/Math/index.html
is an online version.

Family Math is an excellent series of books.
http://www.lhs.berkeley.edu/equals/books.html

Ontario has a guide that "suggests simple activities that you, as a parent,
can do with your young child to explore math at home. It will be most useful
for parents of children in Junior Kindergarten through Grade 3."
http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/document/brochure/earlymath/index.html

If you tell us more, we might be able to give you more specific help.

Good luck.

 -Claire, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question