From: Lissa Gougeon <lissa.gougeon@tldsb.on.ca>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Feb 17, 2008 at 15:50:59
Subject: Math language

Our Board of Ed. has a huge push on using Word Walls in the classroom.
As I was marking one of my students Number Sense and Numeration math
tests, I realized that for many of my kids, the problem is not the math
but the language.  It occurred to me that I should post a Word Wall of
terms that are commonly used in word problems.  I could come up with
quite a few, but surely there is a list somewhere of terms that would
help the students decipher which operation(s) is required in that
particular question. eg: Find the difference = subtraction

If such a list exists, the teachers at my school would be awfully happy
to post it!

Thanks for your time and energy,

Lissa Gougeon

Post a public discussion message