Q&A #19452

Remainders in long division

View entire discussion

From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Mar 24, 2008 at 19:17:27
Subject: Re: Remainders in long division

Hi Ruth, I want to encourage you to consider even another way for students to write the remainder of a division problem. How about writing it as a fraction, using the number left over as the numerator, and the divisor as the denominator? Then students can read it as "so much, out of so much" like this: 37 divided by 5 is 7 with 2/5 (or two out of 5) left over. This would identify the meaning of that divisor, which was to make equal groups of that amount, or that many equal groups. The fraction remainder identifies the amount of the final group, so you can see how close you are to another whole group. I hope this gives you something to consider as you plan your instruction. -Gail, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®