From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 01, 2008 at 12:17:44
Subject: Re: Help for a 1st year teacher

Hi Tommie,

The following sites describe activities that can be adapted for the
classroom.  I'd suggest you try the Family Math activities first. The Math
Trail activities require a great deal of preliminary work, but I've included
it since you might find a math trail in your community already set up.

Here's the URL for the National Math Trail:
http://www.nationalmathtrail.org/
The basic idea is  that student go from station to station to and do math
problems/puzzles based upon what is in that location.  It's been done in
cities, parks, playgrounds, shopping malls -- all in varying scales.

Here's the URL for the Lawrence Hall of Science:
http://equals.lhs.berkeley.edu/
I think Family Math might have something for you. Many schools offer "Family
Math Night."

Hope this helps!

 -Jeanne, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message