From: ---
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Apr 03, 2008 at 17:48:08
Subject: Multiplying fractions

We have begun to study the concept of multiplying fractions. My gifted
4th graders have discovered how to fold paper and to see relationships of
fractions of fractions. They can easily color in 1/2 of a paper and then
color 1/3 of that 1/2 to see that 1/3 of 1/2 = 1/6.

However, a few children do not understand why we multiply the numerators
and the denominators. (ex. 1/2 of 1/4 = 1/2 *1/4 = 1/8) They do not get
the idea of multiplying since in whole number operations we think of
multiplying as a short cut for addition.

How do I help them make connections?

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®