Q&A #19540

Math curriculum for kindergarten homeschooler

View entire discussion

From: Ralph (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 26, 2008 at 14:38:30
Subject: Re: Math curriculum for kindergarten homeschooler

Hi Brandie,

Thank you for writing to T2T.  I wish you well as you embark on
homeschooling your child, and would like to also issue a general caution --
don't believe/try to incorporate everything you read!  The article you
mentioned described ONE study (done with UNIVERSITY students) that
suggested that teaching "abstract/symbolic" math has advantages. I'm not
questioning the results -- just suggesting that it would be dangerous
to generalize to 5-year olds!

There is overwhelming evidence that young children learn mathematics more
effectively beginning with concrete, manipulative experiences.  The best
advice I can give you is to MAKE MATHEMATICS FUN for your daughter! Playing a
game such as Snakes (Chutes) and Ladders can help your child learn number
combinations (from rolling the dice), sequencing of numbers (following the
gameboard), etc.  Simple card games can help her learn number comparisons,
addition, etc.  For example, see:

If your daughter sees learning mathematics as an enjoyable, fun activity,
you will have made a SIGNIFICANT contribution to her mathematics
development!  Good luck,

-Ralph, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question