From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 18, 2008 at 17:06:28
Subject: Re: basic math for blind teen-age learner

Dear Keri,

Thank you for writing Teacher2Teacher and I'm so sorry that your note
has waited for a response for this long. I'm afraid that none of the volunteer
T2T Associates have experience with the situation you are in.

I wonder if this site I found of the National Federation of the Blind:

   http://www.nfb.org/nfb/NABS.asp

might be helpful. I see that they have a mailing list and it's possible that
if you post to it, someone with experience might be able to provide some
suggestions.

Sincerely,
Suzanne

>My son is a self-motivated home-schooler and is blind.  He uses Braille and
>computer speach for written reading and language work and has used abacus
>and computer math in the past, but not for years, and he hasn't done as
>many of the math problems he should have.   Now that he is adult, he is far
>behind other kids his age and IQ.  He wants to go to college in computer
>science, which he is very gifted in, but is faced with the SAT to get in.
>What curriculum could he use that is speech-accesable with a screen-reader
>and that a teen with poor math skills would not find insulting?  I also
>need an idea of a spelling course as his work has been done on the computer
>or in Braille up to now and his spelling skills are also poor.  These two
>courses need to be on-line courses geared for young, blind, adults.  Thank
>you for your suggestions.

 -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum. Please read more about
this possibility:
http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question