Q&A #19591

View entire discussion

From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 25, 2008 at 08:14:13
Subject: Re: Homeschooler

Hi Sheila, I am not sure what you have taught your child already, but I can share the "big" topics that my school system addresses. We cluster our teaching around number and number sense, computation and estimation, geometry and measurement, probability and statistics and patterns, functions and algebra. Each grade level takes the ideas a bit deeper. If you would like exactly what is done at each grade level, you can use the following URL to look at Virginia's curriculum. http://www.doe.virginia.gov/VDOE/Instruction/sol.html#mathematics The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) has five goals for students: Learn to value mathematics Students should have numerous, varied learning experiences that illuminate the cultural, historical, and scientific evolution of mathematics. These experiences should be designed to evoke students' appreciation of mathematics' role in the development of contemporary society and to promote their understanding of relationships among the fields of mathematics and the disciplines it serves: the humanities and the physical, social, and life sciences. Learn to reason mathematically Skill in making conjectures, gathering evidence, and building an argument to support a theory are fundamental to doing mathematics. Therefore, sound reasoning should be valued as much as students' ability to find correct answers. Learn to communicate mathematically To express and expand their understanding of mathematical ideas, students need to learn the symbols and terms of mathematics. This goal is best accomplished in the context of problem solving that involves students in reading, writing, and talking in the language of mathematics. As students strive to communicate their ideas, they will learn to clarify, refine and consolidate their thinking. Become confident of their mathematical abilities Study that relates to everyday life and builds students' sense of self- reliance will lead them to trust their thinking skills and apply their growing mathematical power. School mathematics should prompt students to realize that doing mathematics is a common, familiar human activity. Become mathematical problem solvers. Problem solving is the process through which students discover and apply the power and utility of mathematics. Skill in problem solving is essential to productive citizenship. There are some resources that may help you at the following URL: http://www.nctm.org/resources/families.aspx You might also try the Family Math Books put out by EQUALS, at UC-Berkeley http://sv.berkeley.edu/showcase/pages/fm_act.html for some great games and activities that help students from preschool all the way into high school learn math concepts. These books explain the important strands students should be learning about, to help parents understand ways to help their children. I hope this gives you somewhere to start. Let us know if you have further questions. We are happy to try to help. -Gail, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®