From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 24, 2008 at 18:09:45
Subject: Re: Unit Conversion

Hi Kelsey,

Have you ever heard of the "giant G"?  It helps my students remember the
conversions for capacity.  you begin by drawing a huge capital G that fills
the entire page.  Put a capital H in the top and the bottom of the G (above
the horizontal line, and below it).  Make the fill the interior of the G up.
 These represent the two half gallons that make up one gallon.

Now, there is a top and a bottom to each H.  Put a Q in each top and
bottom.  You should have drawn 4 Qs, for the two quarts in each half gallon,
or four quarts in all.

Inside each Q draw two capital Ps, side by side, or one on top of the
other.  Each quart has two Pints.  When you are finished, you should have
drawn 8 Ps for the eight pints in a gallon.

In each P draw two Cs, for the two cups that are in a Pint.  you will draw
16 Cs all together.

and if you are very ambitious, draw 8 little os in each C, for the 8 ounces
in each cup.

I can't draw it here to show you, so I hope I have made it clear.  It really
helps my middle school students remember.  :-)   Gail

 -Gail, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®