Q&A #19679

Unit Conversion

View entire discussion

From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 24, 2008 at 18:09:45
Subject: Re: Unit Conversion

Hi Kelsey, Have you ever heard of the "giant G"? It helps my students remember the conversions for capacity. you begin by drawing a huge capital G that fills the entire page. Put a capital H in the top and the bottom of the G (above the horizontal line, and below it). Make the fill the interior of the G up. These represent the two half gallons that make up one gallon. Now, there is a top and a bottom to each H. Put a Q in each top and bottom. You should have drawn 4 Qs, for the two quarts in each half gallon, or four quarts in all. Inside each Q draw two capital Ps, side by side, or one on top of the other. Each quart has two Pints. When you are finished, you should have drawn 8 Ps for the eight pints in a gallon. In each P draw two Cs, for the two cups that are in a Pint. you will draw 16 Cs all together. and if you are very ambitious, draw 8 little os in each C, for the 8 ounces in each cup. I can't draw it here to show you, so I hope I have made it clear. It really helps my middle school students remember. :-) Gail -Gail, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®