From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 25, 2008 at 08:12:57
Subject: Re: Fraction notation in algebra 1

Hi Gayle,

I understand your concerns, and even agree that the horizontal bar makes it
more clear which is the numerator and which is the denominator,  but I
havenít been able to come across any "rule" to help you assert your claims.
Have you tried explaining to the other teachers how this could help their
students in future math classes.  I have found that it made a difference to
me and to my middle school colleagues when someone could put it in those
terms, rather than just telling me it was a rule, or that in their opinion it
was a better way.

 -Gail, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question