From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Oct 23, 2008 at 21:20:05
Subject: Re: Geometry for

>HI.  Wondering if you had any thoughts on whether it is possible to
>"extend" 9th grade Geometry class material for a gifted student --
>extending it, say, into her areas of interest, which are Biology and
>Biomedical research?  The problem is that she hasn't yet studied Physics,
>Trig or Calculus?  Would it just be better for her to complete the regular
>9th grade curriculum, and look for Geometry applications as she moves into
>Physics, Trig and Calc.?  Thanks for any thoughts!
>
>I am a parent, not a teacher, trying to get my gifted daughter's math needs
>met, EITHER by finding some kind of appropriate YEAR-LONG approaches and
>materials to "extend" the reach of the course while she is in the 9th grade
>Geometry course,
>
>OR by obtaining permission for her to move through the course at her own
>pace and finish by mid-year (to fit in some other course).  I'm not a
>"math" person, per se, hence the questions.
>
>I was hoping that someone could tell me if 9th grade high-school geometry
>COULD even be "meaningfully extended" to make the course beneficial and of
>academic value to her ALL YEAR -- IS it possible to go into fluid
>mechanics, for example, without having yet studied Physics --
>
>or would she be better off just moving thru this regular 9th-grade course
>material at her own accelerated pace, perhaps with some "extended asides"
>as appropriate, and then moving on -- being done with this course, and
>knowing to expect to see other types of geometry later on in college or
>graduate studies, after she'd had more science and more math to tie into
>it --
>
>It just occurred to me that you might not be aware of the typical 9th-grade
>Geometry course contents (and we're here in Pennsylvania, too).  These
>statements are from the high-school's website, and will put the course in
>perspective for you.  My daughter is extremely discouraged by the painfully
>SLOW movement through course material, and the redundancy of the
>presentations -- and she has the "top" teacher and the "top" level class
>offered.  She's a very visual person and likes math; she "gets" this stuff
>the first time through (and sits bored thru umpteen repetitions until the
>others get it), and she NEEDS to either move through and be done, OR have
>it "extended" in some way that has value to her professional goals... but
>that's what I'm trying to ascertain -- CAN it be "extended" now, with her
>having ZERO background in Physics or Trig or Calculus or Statistics -- or
>does it make sense to acquire what's here and be done, for now?
>
>Thanks, Karen
>
>COURSE DESCRIPTION:  GEOMETRY, LEVEL I
>In this course, you will develop skills in defining terms, thinking
>logically, and arriving at conclusions, both geometric and non-geometric.
>Lines, angles, circles, triangles, quadrilaterals and other geometric
>figures are studied. Students become familiar with two-column, paragraph,
> [...]

 -Marielouise, for the T2T service

It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum.
Please read more about
this possibility:
http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Hi, Karen,

I read your question on the CPAM website and it intrigued me.  I fully
support Claudia's response to
you about using other texts ...especially Discovering Geometry and the
computer program
Geometer Sketchpad. Both of these will challenge your daughter's creative
instinct.  Geometry is
more than just what your Pennsylvania curriculum states.  I have always
considered it the mental
structure upon which much of mathematics is built.  The Geometer Sketchpad
enables students to
explore without the tediousness of constructions by hand.

Has your daughter built three dimensional models of standard figures as well
as the Platonic solids
and Archimedian solids?  Use straws, rubber bands or "stick-um" (used to
hold candles upright in
their bases) to build open models and see what happens to diagonals of the
solid.

Has your daughter explored origami?

Has your daughter asked herself what happens to the equation of a line when
it moves off the two
dimensional plane and is seen in three dimentional space?  What happens to
the equation of the
line in three space?  How does the equation of a plane relate to the
equation of a line?  If the
solution of a system of two equations in two unknowns is either void or a
point in a two
dimentional sysstem, what is the solution of the system of three equations
in three unknowns?
This is coordinate geometry in three space.  This is important because once
the mind abstracts and
is able to see the progression from one to two to three space, then n-
dimensional space is easier to
comprehend.  Can a geometry student do this?  Yes, I have seen many do
it.    However, this is a
situation where building models with manila board and string not only helps
one see the solution of
problems but also develops the "eye" for being able to draw and read three-
dimensional figures.
Unfortunately, for me, I have been out of the high school classroom for more
than 10 years and
cannot direct you to texts that can help you.

Has she studied probability?  Geometric probability is a good problem
solving method for some
problems.

Hopefully this will give you the idea that there is more to geometry than is
in high school
textbooks.
Marielouise

Post a public discussion message