From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 13, 1999 at 21:18:17
Subject: Re: Symmetry

I think some teachers, especially geometry teachers, get into tessellations and working with combining ideas. I recently put some Miras in the hands of elementary teachers and they went crazy with creating activities for their students. If more elementary folks prepare children, perhaps the teachers of middle and high schoolers can take the pattern further and feel more comfortable in doing so. Sometimes I think the teachers believe that if it is not completely rigorous, it is not real math...too much fun! I truly believe that patterns whether they be numeric or geometric or whatever, are the essence of mathematics! -Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/