From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 13, 1999 at 21:18:17
Subject: Re: Symmetry

I think some teachers, especially geometry teachers, get into tessellations
and working with combining ideas. I recently put some Miras in the hands of
elementary teachers and they went crazy with creating activities for their
students.  If more elementary folks prepare children, perhaps the teachers
of middle and high schoolers can take the pattern further and feel more
comfortable in doing so.

Sometimes I think the teachers believe that if it is not completely
rigorous, it is not real math...too much fun!  I truly believe that patterns
whether they be numeric or geometric or whatever, are the essence of
mathematics!

 -Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/