From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Feb 16, 2010 at 10:04:54
Subject: Re: Taxicab Geometry

Hi Corey,

I suggest you look at your unit's goals and objectives. What were you hoping
your students would know/understand upon completion of your unit? What were
you having your students practice on the homework? What were you emphasizing?

Taxicab geometry -- at least what I remember of it -- is a non-Euclidean
world. Two points do not define a unique line segment. Do the Oregon
Standards include some non-Euclidean geometry?

Depending upon how you set up your activity, you could be setting up an
axiomatic system with its own set of undefined terms, postulates, theorems.
Do the Oregon Standards have something addressing learning about the
structure of an axiomatic system?

Are you using the Taxicab geometry context to talk about counting paths from
A to B? If so you might be doing something related to combinations, tree
diagrams, Pascal's triangle. Probability standards???

I'm not sure how helpful I've been, but I thought I'd try. Good luck!

 -Jeanne, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®