From: Corey Goll <cgoll05@wou.edu> (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Feb 17, 2010 at 11:29:24
Subject: Re: Taxicab Geometry

Thank you. This has helped. Until next time, Corey >>I am having a hard time fitting the special topic of "Taxicab Geometry" >>into the Mathematics State Standards for Oregon. I am currently working on >>a Mini Work Sample and this topic is going to be in my MWS, thus I need it >>to align with State Standards. Can you give me some insight into which >>standard(s) this topic fits? > >Hi Corey, > >I suggest you look at your unit's goals and objectives. What were you hoping your students would >know/understand upon completion of your unit? What were you having your students practice on >the homework? What were you emphasizing? > >Taxicab geometry--at least what I remember of it--is a non-Euclidean world. Two points do not >define a unique line segment. Do the Oregon Standards include some non- Euclidean geometry? >Depending upon how you set up your activity, you could be setting up an axiomatic system with its >own set of undefined terms, postulates, theorems. Do the Oregon Standards have something >addressing learning about the structure of an axiomatic system? > >Are you using the Taxicab geometry context to talk about counting paths from A to B? If so you >might be doing something related to combinations, tree diagrams, Pascal's triangle. Probability >standards??? > >I'm not sure how helpful I've been, but I thought I'd try. Good luck! > > -Jeanne, for the T2T service > > >Thanks for visiting our on-line community. >Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.org/t2t/ > >It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum. Please read more about >this possibility: >http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/. >

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/