Q&A #20691

Counting beyond 100

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Claire (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Mar 25, 2010 at 16:09:08
Subject: Re: Counting beyond 100

Hi, Laurie -- Thanks for writing to T2T -- and congratulations for reaching beyond day 100! ;-) As far as I know, the correct way to name numbers (still) is to avoid the word "and" when reading whole numbers. It should be reserved for fraction/decimal mixed numbers. For example, 4.7 is read as "four and seven tenths". We say "six and seven eighths" for 6 7/8. We say "two hundred twelve" for 212. That being said, I hear "and" used all the time by people who I think should know better on radio and TV. Have you heard the different opinions from published sources, or from common usage among colleagues? I hope this is helpful. -Claire, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®