From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 23, 1999 at 22:28:12
Subject: Re: Place value blocks

This will take quite a few place value blocks, but perhaps they need to see
the entire amount as ones first, trading them in to make tens, and then
trading those in to make hundreds, and then regrouping those into thousands.
 Perhaps they are confused because somewhere deep down their intuition is
telling them that there really could be tens or ones in that large number
(just not if we use the most restrictive place value, right?)

You might even start with a smaller number, like 17, showing that it can be
modeled as 17 ones, or a ten and 7 ones.  Then go for 217, and show it as
217 ones, 21 tens and 7 ones, and 2 hundreds 1 ten and 7 ones.  then add a
digit in the thousands place and go through the routine again.

This exercise will help your students see that there are multiple
representations for numbers in our number system, while reinforcing the place
value you are trying to teach them.

 -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question