From: Rick (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 20, 1998 at 03:46:19
Subject: Re: Business Mathematics

Melinda,

Let me take a stab at a couple of these. When I taught a business math-type
course, I ordered some IRS forms from the government (they used to give them
out; I don't know if they still do) and gave the students a set of
information like that on W-2 forms. I then had them fill out the forms.

One thing with fringe benefits that is always interesting for kids to think
about is the difference between present and future value. One of the things I
liked to do there is to start them with a lottery setting (or sports
salaries) and ask them questions that would get them to think about whether
it made more sense to get paid lump sum or spread over a number of years.
Some of this idea deals with compound interest, which can lead to looking at
exponential functions.

Hope this gets you started.

- Rick, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message