From: Mary Lou (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 17, 1998 at 12:00:12
Subject: Re: Student ahead of the class

You do not mention at what grade or academic level the student is at present.
If the student is always ahead, does that also mean that the student has
learned the material? If the student is a quick learner, find some
supplementary materials, not drill and practice, and assign extensions or
projects that are on the same or different topic areas that require more
involved work. Perhaps the teacher's text has these. If not, look in the Dale
Seymour Publication catalog for various activities.

How bright is the student?  Is the student truly able to do above-grade-level
work?  Some children work independently in above-grade-level texts. It is not
what I would advise, as very quick children need challenges, not just forward
movement.

Do you have a child in your class who needs additional help? Assign the quick
student to be the other child's tutor, except when you are giving
instruction.

I have many favorite activities, especially in geometry. Write back if you
are interested and tell me the grade and/or academic level of the child.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/