From: Rick (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 13, 1998 at 15:04:34
Subject: AP calculus/Reimann's sum

One way I like to introduce this is to forget about calculus for a moment and
just work with areas. Ask the students to approximate the area of an irregular
figure (lake, stream, etc.). I would let them play around with different
methods and would try to lead them to give me an estimate of the boundaries of
the areas (largest possible and smallest possible).

In other words, try to get them to think about what it is they are doing.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question