From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 23, 1999 at 18:43:16
Subject: Re: Software simulation of dynamic systems

I have used Interactive Physics for several years.  The program meets the
needs that you have mentioned.  My students often enjoy smashing things more
than determining the reasons for the smashing.  Students can set a wide
variety of parameters.  I prefer having students work individually on the
program. Timing computer use is becoming a challenge for my class.

I also use laser disks with video sequences of athletic activities or cars.
Students measure the motion of the activity by taping a sheet of acetate on
the screen and then, plotting the motion on the sheet as they advance the
video frame by frame (or by a set number of frames.)  I use Physics of Sports
(Videodiscovery Inc), Physics at the Indy 500 (Videodiscovery Inc), Physics
and Automobile Collisions (Kansas State University), and The Puzzle of the
Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse (Wiley Education Software.)

Check this book out at

Knowledge Revolution,
15 Brush Place, San Francisco,
CA 94103. (415) 553-8153.
They have several other marvelous programs.

You can get more information about this book (by MSC. Working Knowledge), at

http://www.e-m-b.com/Lehr-+Lernsoftw_/Technologie-Software/iap/body_iap.html

For more information on Interactive Physics, I would also recommend

http://mtech.com.hk/P_Ipmain.html

 -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/