Q&A #2502

Integers in Algebra

View entire discussion

From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 11, 1999 at 12:25:17
Subject: Re: Integers in Algebra

I would suggest using algebra tiles. Since it is rather involved to explain how these work, I've found some web resources that have information on them about using the tiles in lessons. Here is one by David A. Reid that also has a link to pages that you can use to make the tiles yourself, if you don't have those manipulatives. Learning about Algebra tiles: Activities for teachers http://plato.acadiau.ca/courses/educ/reid/Virtual-manipulatives/tiles/tiles.html Here is another site to try: Adding integers http://www.themathlab.com/toolbox/algebra%20stuff/addinteger.htm I found other pages but these will give you the idea, however, I would also like to point out that they skip some of the basic building work that I would suggest be done when introducing the algebra tiles. I start out just doing very elementary integer representation with them. So, you would demonstrate 2 + 3 and -2 + 3 and 2 - 3 (or 2 + -3) and -2 - 3 (or -2 + -3) Once the students have a clear understanding of how that "looks" geometrically and numerically, then you could introduce the idea of variables and go from there to more complicated ideas. I hope that helps! -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®