From: Mary Lou (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 10, 1998 at 21:54:52
Subject: Re: Teaching more/less in Kindergarten

It has been 28 years since I taught math/science in a cooperative preschool.
However, at that time we used bread tags (the rectangular twisters that keep
the bread wrapping closed) because they did not roll onto the floor. One of
the activities that we did was to match different sets of tags. To do this we
would match pairs up in a line. If you had some tags left over, then that set
had more in it than the other. If you used up all of your tags, then that set
had less tags than the other.  If you used up all of both sets of tags then
the two sets had the same.

One of the ideas that I like to see young children do is the following: take a
number such as 7 and line up the tags in two rows with 3 in one row and 4 in
the other. This is the same kind of number as five, which can be paired up 2
and 3.
The numbers 7 and 5 differ from the number 4 because 4 can be set up as two
rows of 2 each. The 7 and 5 each have one left over when divided into 2,
whereas the 4 has none left over when divided by two. You are developing the
idea of not only more/less but also of parity (even vs. odd).

I hope that this sparks some ideas in you.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/