Q&A #2591

8th grade Algebra 1

View entire discussion

From: Don Bannister <dsbannister@earthlink.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Nov 18, 1999 at 02:19:55
Subject: 8th grade Algebra 1

I am an 8/9 grade junior high school teacher. There is quite a tremendous
push in our school district to eventually place ALL 8th graders in a one-
year Algebra 1 course.
	Those of us who teach algebra-1 do not believe that all students are
ready for algebra at the 8th grade level, either in skills or maturity.  The
"powers that be" in our district office interpret the new California math
standards as demanding such a shift to take place, and within the next couple
of years.  We currently have about 55% of our 8th graders in algebra.
	 I have not found research that really points to a clear solution to
this dilemma.  Can you offer an opinion and/or point me toward some
specific studies with definite results?

Thank you for your time,
Donald Bannister

Post a public discussion message