From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 20, 1999 at 12:27:35
Subject: Re: Classroom Openers

My mind is racing with a variety of ideas. Actually, I am a middle school
teacher and the highest level that I have taught is Algebra I to 9th graders
(when we were a junior high school) but I can think of many grabbers to use
at the beginning of the year that would work either at the middle school or
high school level.

Important in my mind is to think of an activity that involves the students,
has some mathematics, but something that isn't overwhelming. A great source
of ideas are the POW (Problem of the Week) archives, which you can access
here:

http://mathforum.org/pow/

You could choose a problem from any of the levels depending on the class that
you are thinking of. You can print these problems out without the level
listed at the top. So, you may find and elementary or middle school problem
that would have a fun twist in it that would work with older students. No one
has to know that it was originally marked at a lower level.

Another source would be the Puzzles you can find here:

http://mathforum.org/k12/k12puzzles/

Then the Math Tips and Tricks might also give you ideas:

http://mathforum.org/k12/mathtips/

I hope that helps some.

 -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/