Q&A #2599

Classroom Openers

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 20, 1999 at 12:27:35
Subject: Re: Classroom Openers

My mind is racing with a variety of ideas. Actually, I am a middle school teacher and the highest level that I have taught is Algebra I to 9th graders (when we were a junior high school) but I can think of many grabbers to use at the beginning of the year that would work either at the middle school or high school level. Important in my mind is to think of an activity that involves the students, has some mathematics, but something that isn't overwhelming. A great source of ideas are the POW (Problem of the Week) archives, which you can access here: http://mathforum.org/pow/ You could choose a problem from any of the levels depending on the class that you are thinking of. You can print these problems out without the level listed at the top. So, you may find and elementary or middle school problem that would have a fun twist in it that would work with older students. No one has to know that it was originally marked at a lower level. Another source would be the Puzzles you can find here: http://mathforum.org/k12/k12puzzles/ Then the Math Tips and Tricks might also give you ideas: http://mathforum.org/k12/mathtips/ I hope that helps some. -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®