From: Suzanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 06, 1998 at 18:12:10
Subject: Re: The word "geometry"

Courtney,

The word geometry comes from two Greek words, one meaning earth and the other
meaning to measure. Originally, it was used in the measure of land, or as we would
say today, surveying.

Over time geometry has come to include many areas of study. The main areas of
geometry in elementary, middle, and secondary schools are those of plane geometry
and solid geometry. The study of plane geometry includes points, lines, polygons,
and circles on a flat surface. The study of solid geometry includes the shapes
that are three-dimensional, such as cubes, prisms, cones, and others.

I hope this has given you a bit of information.

Suzanne

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®