From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 27, 1999 at 23:54:09
Subject: Re: Partitioning Fractions

I think it has to do with looking at the pieces that can make up a fraction, but I am not sure. I did a search and was not able to find anything helpful. What I am thinking is that, just like numbers can be expressed as sums of other numbers, fracitons can also be expressed as sums of other fractions. For example, 1/2 is also 6/12, and that could be expressed as 1/12 + 2/12 + 3/12, or 1/12 + 1/6 + 1/4. It would be easiest to see this using an area model, I think. I will put a memo on this answer to let others know I am not sure it has been totally answered. :-) -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/