Q&A #2644

Partitioning Fractions

View entire discussion

From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 28, 1999 at 12:42:55
Subject: Re: Partitioning Fractions

Hi Cindy, I, like Gail, didn't quite know what it meant either but I found some references to it and I think I understand now. There is this lesson by Perry Lemon that lists as an objective "to teach partitioning and equivalency" which you can read here: http://www.iit.edu/~smile/ma9109.html His sentence "Activity card 1, for example, would be a practice to reinforce the part-whole interpretation of a fraction, such as, 3/5 indicates that a whole has been partitioned into 5 equal parts and 3 of those are being considered." makes me think that partitioning just has to do with the representation of a fraction as a whole that has been divided into a number of equal parts. I also found this at the high school level and it seems to be related: http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/partitions.html The discussion is of partitions and ordered partitions. If you take "4" and partition it then you get "3 1" and "2 2" and "2 1 1" and "1 1 1 1." The ordered partitions of 4 would include the same numbers but in all of the possible orders. -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®