From: Mary Lou (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 10, 1998 at 21:17:59
Subject: Re: Texts / expanded notation

Hi,

I cannot help you finding old texts, as I would do as you have done and ask a
school district. If the public system does not have any texts, ask at private
or parochial schools.

I can help you with expanded notation. The Hindu Arabic system that is used to
write numbers assigns a place value to a position in a number. The number
5487.32 consists of the digits:  2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8. However, each of these
digits occupies a different position in the number. The 2 represents 2/100ths.
The 3 represents 3/10ths. The 7 represents 7 units or 7. The 8 represents 8
tens or 80.
The 4 represents 4 hundreds or 400, whereas the 5 represents 5 thousands or
5,000.

To write the number 5487.32 in expanded notation you would write:

   5000 + 400 + 80 + 7 + 3/10 + 2/100.

Try some. Remember that if there is a zero in the number, such as in 5039, the
zero says that there are zero hundreds or no hundreds. The expanded notation
for 5039 is 5000 + 30 + 9.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®