From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Mar 27, 1998 at 20:43:24
Subject: Re: Teaching conversion of units of measurement

Lynn,

If they don't understand the basic fraction values the way you have them,
have you tried  100cm/1m = 1  all the ones - and then use multiplication of
fractions?

If you need a visual aid, I have something that was given to me called the
"gallon guy" with the units of equality coming from the gallon body. It is
one piece and then the arms have 4 pieces, since 4 quarts = a gallon, with of
course 2 pints sitting on each arm of the quart.

Maybe you can create a centipede to reinforce the vocabulary, where centi
means 100, and go from there. Maybe your students could design their own.

Just a thought... hope it works!

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®