From: Malini
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Jan 16, 2000 at 01:17:18
Subject: Teaching mathematics creatively

I have just started teaching a Grade 2 and they are about 7-8 years old. They
have a basic knowledge of addition and subtraction from Grade 1. I am
currently under probation and the teacher who is supervising me insists that
these students are incapable of learning higher addition or subtraction. To
make things harder on me, there are 16 failures (from the last examination)
out of 37 pupils in the class and several other borderline cases. I need  a
lesson that will not cause too much noise and will reach all the ability
levels in the class. Is there some way I can help the slower ones without
making the good ones feel left out or bored?

I will be teaching them addition and subtraction this week and I am at a loss
as to how I am going to get the message across without making it too simple
for the fast ones. I am also worried as to how I am going to make the lesson
interesting so that they can keep the methodsx I teach in mind and use them
over time.

Thank you for your time. I would really appreciate it if you could get
back to me on this as soon as possible.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®