Q&A #289

Making math seem less difficult

View entire discussion

From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Mar 26, 1998 at 22:26:30
Subject: Re: Making math seem less difficult

I don't think math is difficult! I think feelings of anxiety and frustration make the learning of math difficult. Division is taught as an algorithm, with many memorized facts, so most students dislike the process. There is no fun in it and I question the maturity level of younger students to grasp the MEANING of the steps. The thing to do is find something that makes it fun. Put the steps to a song or a cheer, or make an acronym. It takes a little extra, but one has to put the ideas into a child's mind in the way that is comfortable for that child. You can also take the "answer" to a division and have the child check it using multiplication and addition if a remainder, provided the student likes those operations. I hope this made sense. Good luck.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®