Q&A #293

One class, different abilities

View entire discussion

From: Mary Lou (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 09, 1998 at 15:36:28
Subject: Re: One class, different abilities

It has been over twenty-five years since I taught fourth grade but I have had similar situations of different-ability children in the same classroom when teaching high school. Perhaps some of the ideas that I used at that level will be helpful to you. The classroom was set up so that each child was assigned to a group. Within this group were 3 or 4 children with at least one high-ability as well as one low- ability child. The topic for each day, as well as the homework for that day, was presented in written form to each child at the beginning of the unit. While I did not do this for the ninth grade you might do this for the fourth: indicate what material on each page has to be covered by all students and what additional work has to be covered by each student individually. This sounds like a lot of work on your part. However, plan the entire unit, put it all on the paper, and then cross out what each child is not expected to do. You might ask in what way these papers would differ between the ability groups. Everyone has to complete what you consider essential. However, not everyone might need to repeat material every day. Low-ability students do need to repeat, whereas high-ability students generally learn things quickly. A repetition every second or third day might be sufficient for them. During the unit take a catch-up day for you to spend time with students who are having trouble. You can find this out by giving a short quiz the previous day. On catch-up days the students who can do the work should be working on extensions or more difficult work on their own. At the beginning of this I mentioned that students should work in groups. Most of the time this allows someone in the group to answer questions. Higher-ability students can generally answer questions for other students and work on their own work at the same time. This leaves you free to handle those students who need special instruction. This idea of a catch-up day may be repeated for one or two days prior to testing/ evaluation. High school texts seem to have more material than any one teacher could handle. Elementary texts should have sufficient material from which you can choose so you do not have to create it. One of the pitfalls of allowing higher-ability students to work together with each other is that you are left with all of the students with questions. Keeping the students together in a group forces some of your students to help others. Overall, I prefer mixed-ability groups to teach because the constant questions of the lower-ability groups tend to solidify the knowledge of the higher-ability students. I hope that this has helped you.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®