From: Pat Ballew (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jan 22, 2000 at 22:27:05
Subject: Re: Just can't find a Number Balance!!!

I am not familiar with such a device, but if no one comes up with one for
you, you might be able to make a pretty good one yourself.
  I would think a decent balance scale could be made with a wooden dowel and
a couple of plastic measuring cups. You can hang it with a piece of wire or
string tied or taped to the center of the dowel.  Punch three equally spaced
holes in the cups and use string or wire to suspend one from each end of
the rod.  Adjust it to balance by moving the center point bit by bit.
When it balances empty, take plastic sandwich bags and put different numbers
of small children's blocks or marbles or almost anything else that is
consistent in weight and relatively heavy in comparison to the "scale".

Sorry I can't come up with a better solution.. good luck

 -Pat Ballew, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/