From: Kevin <kbarnes@bastrop.isd.tenet.edu>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Feb 03, 2000 at 12:36:40
Subject: Getting weak

As many of you know, math is a subject where if you don't stay with it and
keep a fairly rigorous practice of it you get what Hans and Frans would
call "flabby".  I am getting that way.  I graduated two years ago with a
degree in Mathematics and I took all the upper level courses that go with
that degree.  My mind was as sharp as a tack where groups, fields, etc. were
concerned.  I started teaching.  I teach Algebra I and Geometry at the high
school level.  I am good at what I do. I can do the work, explain it, and
teach it.  In my own math practice, however, I have become "flabby".  I just
came from a class in which my wife is subbing.  She has been the long term
sub for some time now and they are working on a practice sheet that deals
with projectiles, etc.  I looked at the worksheet and started to try to
figure it out, but I couldn't go anywhere from there.  My wife on the
other hand who did not have the training that I did was able to help them
without even thinking about it.  I am frustrated.  My math degree is
useless.  I do not have time to spend in studying or furthering my own
learning because I am always involved in grading, or lesson planning or
something.  I have become mathematically stagnant and I fear that I will not
be able to get back to where I was.  I need help.  Are there any opinions on
what I should do.  I want to enrich my own brain, to keep on learning.  I
want to continue pursuing the field that I grew to love.  Is there anyone who
can help me?  Is there any advice on what I need to do?

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/