From: Kevin <kbarnes@bastrop.isd.tenet.edu>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Feb 03, 2000 at 12:36:40
Subject: Getting weak

As many of you know, math is a subject where if you don't stay with it and keep a fairly rigorous practice of it you get what Hans and Frans would call "flabby". I am getting that way. I graduated two years ago with a degree in Mathematics and I took all the upper level courses that go with that degree. My mind was as sharp as a tack where groups, fields, etc. were concerned. I started teaching. I teach Algebra I and Geometry at the high school level. I am good at what I do. I can do the work, explain it, and teach it. In my own math practice, however, I have become "flabby". I just came from a class in which my wife is subbing. She has been the long term sub for some time now and they are working on a practice sheet that deals with projectiles, etc. I looked at the worksheet and started to try to figure it out, but I couldn't go anywhere from there. My wife on the other hand who did not have the training that I did was able to help them without even thinking about it. I am frustrated. My math degree is useless. I do not have time to spend in studying or furthering my own learning because I am always involved in grading, or lesson planning or something. I have become mathematically stagnant and I fear that I will not be able to get back to where I was. I need help. Are there any opinions on what I should do. I want to enrich my own brain, to keep on learning. I want to continue pursuing the field that I grew to love. Is there anyone who can help me? Is there any advice on what I need to do?

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/